Preregistration for 2013-2014 kindergarten classes will be held in all elementary schools on March 20, 2013 from 9:30 to11:30 a.m. and from 1 to 3 p.m. Visit your campus website or contact your school for further information. For the 2013-2014 school year, children entering kindergarten for the first time must be five years old on or before September 1, 2013. Due to Texas state law on age requirements, no exceptions will be made.The district provides full-day kindergarten. To register, parents must provide the school with the following items:
- Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics (see City of Houston Bureau of Vital Statistics to obtain a birth certificate if born in the city of Houston)
- Current immunization record
- Proof of residency (a current electric, gas, or water bill or a lease agreement)
- Social security card for each child, if available.
- Photo ID of parent or guardian
For additional information regarding where to register kindergarten students, parents can contact their neighborhood school.
Students currently enrolled in the district’s prekindergarten program are automatically registered for kindergarten. The student’s permanent folder, which contains the student’s birth certificate and immunization records, will be sent to the student’s home school for the kindergarten year.
Therefore, there is no need for parents of current prekindergartners to attend the kindergarten preregistration. For additional information, please call your child’s campus.
For additional information, call the
Pre-kindergarten/Kindergarten Hotline at
See Also Kindergarten Program
[Back to Student Services Home Page]