Always communicate with your supervisor regarding the anticipated need for leave.
COVID Leave Days
CFISD has approved 10 COVID Leave days to be used for absences attributed to COVID-19 positive illness. Absences incurred from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022 are eligible. Use of COVID Leave days is not automatic and a leave request must be submitted with lab-confirmed COVID-19 positive test results. Home tests are not accepted.
For faster processing, please read the district guidelines prior to requesting leave.
Family Medical Leave
Medical leave is a policy which protects an employee’s job while they are out for a qualifying medical reason. CFISD employees may qualify for one of two types of medical leave, either Family Medical leave (FMLA) or Temporary Disability (TD) leave.
Employees must meet specific criteria (outlined below) to qualify for FML.
The second medical leave program available to CFISD employees is Temporary Disability (TD).
- TD is NOT to be confused with Disability Insurance.
- TD is medical leave coverage and Disability Insurance is an elected benefit.
- Employees who do not qualify for FML may qualify for TD, if the employee has their own medical need and meets the criteria.
FMLA and TD leave are unpaid leave programs. The district requires employees to use compensatory time and paid leave concurrently with FMLA/TD leave. You must notify CFISD Insurance within 31 days of childbirth to add a child.
Consult a Benefits Specialist for any questions regarding insurance benefits (medical, disability etc.).
How to Request FMLA/TD Leave of Absence
- Communicate with your supervisor the anticipated need for leave
- Send an email to HRLeave@cfisd.net
- Include in the Subject: Leave Request for EMPLOYEE NAME and EMPLOYEE NUMBER
- Include in the body of the email: Campus/Department, Reason for Leave, Anticipated Dates
- Attach Supporting Documentation, if any.
Email your medical leave request, generally 30 days in advance, or as soon as possible, to your human resources leave specialist at HRLeave@cfisd.net, or you may email them directly utilizing the List of Leave Specialist Assignments by Campus/Department .