Year Opened: 1970
Lamkin Elementary traces its history back to 1884 when a small one-room schoolhouse, known as Big Cypress Schoolhouse, No. 2, Dist. 6, was built. As the years passed and the elementary and high school students were provided separate facilities, the elementary was renamed Lamkin in honor of Mr. and Mrs. G.A. Lamkin, Jr. Prior to his appointment in 1947 as Superintendent of the District, Mr. Lamkin served nine years as principal of Fairbanks Elementary.