Note: The following information was submitted by the candidate in preparation for the school board election.
Current Board term expires: 11/2021
Responses as of: 09/2016
(1) Your full name: Bob R. Covey
(2) Spouse’s name: Kathleen M.
(3) Child(ren) name(s) and age(s): David Paul (38) Cy Fair High School ‘96/ Texas State University Bachelors Degree/ Married; Michael Andrew (35) Cy Fair High School’ 99/ Texas State University Bachelors Degree/ Married; James Robert (33) Cy Fair High School ‘01/ Texas State University Bachelors Degree/ Married; 5 Grandchildren (all live in Cy Fair ISD and will attend Cy Fair schools)
(4) Describe your occupation and company: Retired from American Alloy Steel, Inc after 35 years. Vice President-Sales
(5) Subdivision: Lakes of Fairhaven
(6) Years lived within CFISD: Originally moved into Cy Fair area in 1975
(7) Why did you choose to live in CFISD? Educational opportunity for our sons, and my wife as a teacher. Proximity to my work. Feeling of community in the area.
(8) Describe your involvement in CFISD (i.e. PTO, district-level committees): Yes. I am a reader at Sheridan Elementary School and Metcalf Elementary School. I am also a “ Global Volunteer”, and have the opportunity to volunteer in any school that might have a need. I have also participated in the Bus Buddies Program, and Read Across America.
(9) Community organizations in which you participate:
(10) Considering your skills and talents, what positive contribution would you make as a member of the Board of Trustees? Degreed in Education, teacher , 35 years in a successful family business, husband of retired teacher, father of three CFISD graduates, a conservative and taxpayer, and volunteering throughout the district offers a unique advantage and perspective with experienced understanding. As a member of the Board for 8 years, we’ve faced tough challenges - financial, fast growth and changing demographics, and yet to be named by ERG as the MOST EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT District in TEXAS.
(11) In your opinion, what are the responsibilities of the Board of Trustees? Adopt a budget, set goals for the district, review and appraise those goals for accountability, evaluate the Superintendent and the Board, and work as a “ Team of 8” to provide a Vision for the district. A Trustee should represent children, students, families, taxpayers and businesses without a partisan viewpoint or hidden agenda. Having the ability to look at the “ big picture” and the BEST for ALL our students.
Each Board member comes from different backgrounds with different strengths. We do not always agree, nor should we. However, we do have great respect for the others’ positions. To quote a past Board member, “We may not always travel the same road, but we are heading for the same destination.” Having compassionate respectful working relationships with the Team of 8 sets the tone for success throughout the District, and positively affects student success.
(13) The state does not fund CFISD at the same level as surrounding districts, which has resulted in budget reductions of nearly $70 million in recent years. Given this information, what are your recommendations for recruiting and retaining quality staff? Although the Legislature was able to return some monies to Education, we still need a formula that is equitable and fulfill essential needs to educate All children. In addition, it is imperative that we, as a district, must be aware, and educate to the needs for the type of employment in this “ global” economy that is prevalent, due to instant communications.