Board Highlights - 08-13-2012
The administration announced three new administrators and four new principals:
Deborah Stewart, the assistant superintendent for student services, was named the associate superintendent for human resources and student services;
Dr. Linda Macias, the assistant superintendent for elementary instruction, was named the associate superintendent for curriculum and instruction and accountability;
Ify Ogwumike, the principal at Hamilton Middle School, was named the assistant superintendent for student services;
Sheri McCaig, an assistant principal at Goodson Middle School, was named the new principal at Goodson Middle School;
Nancy Rogers, a classroom management consultant in the student services department, was named the principal at Hancock Elementary School;
Stephanie Thomas, an assistant principal at Horne Elementary School, was named the principal at Horne Elementary School; and
Stacie Wicke, the associate principal at Jersey Village High School, was named the principal at the Alternative Learning Center—West.
EMERSON PROCESS MANAGEMENT
The Board approved a resolution supporting the application by Emerson Process Management Valve Automation to the U.S. Foreign Trade Zone Board and to provide a letter of non-objection for such purpose.
Emerson Process Management Valve Automation is consolidating its three Greater Houston operation locations and is relocating in the Cy-Fair area on Highway 290. As part of its economic development strategy, Emerson is making a capital investment of $27 million and creating 125 new jobs, while retaining 320 existing jobs. Emerson is seeking to qualify its inventory within a Foreign Trade Sub Zone, and as such exempt its inventory from customs tariffs and inventory property taxes.
In other action, the Board approved:
- bids and contracts to the recommended vendors and authorized the superintendent, respective associate superintendent or designee to execute all necessary documents related to such bids and contracts;
- on second reading additions, deletions and revisions to district policies:
- GKD (LOCAL) COMMUNITY RELATIONS: Nonschool Use of School Facilities;
- extending the time period allowed for Life Bridge Church to rent facilities at Smith Middle School per GKD (LOCAL) by three months;
- tax refunds of $500 or greater for Cypress-Fairbanks ISD;
- on first reading additions, deletions and revisions to district policies:
- DIA (LOCAL) EMPLOYEE WELFARE: Freedom from Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (Revise);
- FB (LOCAL) EQUAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY; and
- FFH (LOCAL) STUDENT WELFARE: Freedom from Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (Revise);
- the 2012-2013 Cypress-Fairbanks ISD Student Code of Conduct;
- the Memorandum of Understanding between the Harris County Juvenile Board and the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD to participate in the JJAEP for the 2012-2013 school year;
- endorsement of candidacy for Benny May, Barbers Hill ISD, on the TASB Board of Directors for Position 4-C; and
- a resolution to participate in the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Risk Management Fund and authorized the superintendent, respective associate superintendent or designee to execute all necessary documents related to the TASB Risk Management Fund.