Board Highlights - 11-11-2013
The superintendent recognized students and staff members for honors and achievements earned in recent weeks. Congratulations were extended to the following:
Dave Schrandt, director of student services for admissions, attendance and transfers, who was named the Outstanding Homeless Liaison of the Year during the Texas Conference on Ending Homelessness. The award honors advocates for homeless students and their families;
cross country teams who had success in the postseason. The Cypress Woods boys placed first in district, with Cypress Ridge placing second and Cypress Ranch placing third. The Cypress Woods girls placed first in district, with Cy-Fair placing second and Cypress Creek placing third. The Cypress Woods girls won the Region III-5A Cross Country Championships and the Cypress Woods boys placed second. Both teams qualified for the UIL State Cross Country Championship, placing among the top 10;
volleyball teams that advanced to the playoffs.Cy-Fair finished the season as district champion, with Cypress Falls second, Cypress Woods third and Cypress Creek fourth. All four teams won their bi-district playoff games. Cy-Fair, Cypress Woods and Cypress Falls went on to win their area games and advance to the regional quarterfinals;
- the Langham Creek and Cypress Ranch tennis teams, who placed first and second in district. Both teams completed their seasons at the Region III-5A tournament;
- the Cy-Fair, Langham Creek, Cypress Woods and Cypress Ridge high school football teams, for placing in the top four in district and qualifying for the UIL playoffs; and
- eight marching bands that earned Division I ratings at the UIL Region 27 Marching Contest. Cy-Fair, Cypress Creek, Cypress Falls, Cypress Lakes, Cypress Ranch, Cypress Springs, Jersey Village and Langham Creek earned Division I ratings. Cypress Falls also placed first in its division at the USBands Conroe Showcase. Cypress Woods placed first in the 5A division of the Katy ISD Marching Invitational Festival.
Dr. Henry thanked all veterans for their service to our country in honor of Veterans Day. “It is because of you that we are able to meet tonight and enjoy the many freedoms that we so often take for granted,” he said.
STAAR End-of-Course exams will take place Dec. 2-6 for students who have completed the following courses: English I, English II, Algebra I, Biology and US History. The students who will test in the December End-of-Course administration include students who were absent for the Spring 2013 tests, students who completed full course credits in summer or fall, and students who have not previously passed.
Schools will be closed the week of Nov. 25-29 for the Thanksgiving holidays. Some district support facilities, including the Instructional Support Center, will also be closed. Dr. Henry wished all students and employees a relaxing and safe holiday.
In other action, the Board approved:
- bids and contracts and authorized purchase orders as recommended in the posted agenda item;
- budget amendments for the period of July 1, 2013 through Sept. 30, 2013;
- tax refunds of $500 or greater for Cypress-Fairbanks ISD;
- on first reading additions, revisions or deletions to district policies:
- DMC (LOCAL) Professional Development: Continuing Professional Education (delete)
- FEB (LOCAL) Attendance: Attendance Accounting (revise);
- the Cypress-Fairbanks Professional Development and Appraisal System certified appraisers for the 2013-2014 school year as outlined in the Certified Appraiser Report;
- the district’s 2013 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and accepted the auditors’ report on the district’s general purpose financial statements for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013;
- the auditors’ report on the district’s fiscal year ended June 30, 2013 required by provisions of the Single Audit Act of 1984, U.S. Office of Management and Budget Circular A-128;
- a resolution casting its ballot for Katherine (Toni) Trumbull to serve on the Board of Directors of the Harris County Appraisal District for a term commencing on Jan. 1, 2014 and extending through Dec. 31, 2015; and
- authorizing the superintendent or designee to negotiate and execute a 0.2278-acre tract for a Waterline Easement to Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 165 located on the proposed Mirabella Drive and West Road for water services for the Canyon Lakes West school site.