Board Highlights - 12-09-2013
The superintendent recognized students and staff members for honors and achievements earned in recent weeks. Congratulations were extended to the following:
Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 168 and Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 29 for their donations of funds for purchase and installation ofplayground equipment at Emmott Elementary School;
- 62 students from the Arnold Middle School Mens Choir who wereselected as a Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) Honor Choir for 2014, the highesthonor a middle school choir may receive in Texas;
- Cy-Fair High School teacher Perry Beard, for earning the remarkabledistinction as a third diamond coach in the National Forensic League;
- Salyards Middle School student Sammy Armstrong, for receiving the HonorMedal, a National Lifesaving Award, from the Boys Scouts of America. Armstrong wasresponsible for saving a stranger’s life;
- Hamilton Middle School student Amar Moturu for winning the statewide You Be The Chemistchallenge;
- students from Cypress Creek, Cypress Ranch, and Cypress Woodshigh schools, who won first or second place at the International Thespian Convention;
- Cypress Woods High School student Alie Derkowski,who placed first in state and second in the2DArchitecture competition at the 2013 National Technology Student Association (TSA)contest; Robert Lipman,who placed second in On-Site NQE-Computer-Aided Design CAD 3DEngineering; and Taylor Frith-Brown,who placed first for Technical Sketching at the statecontest;
- Cypress Woods High School students Andrew Liu and Ian Echols,who placed first in the state in theUniversity Interscholastic League (UIL) 5A Academics Spring Meet; and
- Cypress Falls High School student Roshni Chandwani,who waselected as one of 11 Key Club International Trustees at the Key Club InternationalConvention (ICON).
The Board reviewed options for establishing attendance boundaries for Anthony Middle School, opening in the 2014-15 school year. Attendance boundary information can be found on the CFISD website at http://www.cfisd.net/boundary.
BOND STUDY PROCESS
The Board discussed a proposed bond study process.
A 50-member bond planning committee will be co-chaired by community member Debbie Blackshear, feature community liaisons Teresa Hull, Roy Sprague and Stuart Snow and will include parent, staff and business/community members. The committee members will reflect the geographic and demographic diversity of the district, and the committee’s recommendation should meet the district’s needs through the year 2020.
If a bond issue is called by the Board of Trustees by the Feb. 27, 2014 deadline, a bond election will be held on May 10, 2014.
The fall graduation for Windfern High School will be held on Friday, Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. at the Berry Center. The Windfern High School graduating class of December 2013 is expected to include 110 students. Dr. Henry commended these students, their parents and the Windfern staff for this great accomplishment.
From Dec. 23 – Jan. 3,district schools and the Instructional Support Center will be closed to the public for the holidays. All support facilities will be closed Dec. 24, 25, 31 and Jan. 1. Classeswill resumeon Tuesday, Jan. 7.
Additionally, Monday, Jan. 20 will be a student and staff holiday honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. If there is an emergency to report during the holidays, please contact Security at 281-897-4337.
Dr. Henry extended his warmest holiday wishes to our students, employees, and their families and hope that it is a safe, restful and joyous holiday season for all.
Residents should remember that with the upcoming New Year’s holiday, Texas law prohibits the discharge of fireworks on school district property. The CFISD security department will patrol the district’s premises during the holiday season.Citizens who observe fireworks violations are requested to contact the district’s security dispatcher at 281-897-4337.
On Jan. 18, Cypress Lakes High School will host the 5th annual Catch the Dream event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This community event is for both parents and students, and will focus on college or career readiness.
In other action, the Board approved:
- awarding bids and contracts and/or authorizing purchase orders as recommended in the posted agenda item;
- the District Advanced Placement and dual credit government textbook recommendation for spring 2014;
- the attached list of students for Off-Campus Physical Education, Category I, for the 2013-2014 school year (spring);
- on second reading additions, revisions or deletions to dstrict policies:
- DMC (LOCAL) Professional Development Continuing Professional Education (delete)
- FEB (LOCAL) Attendance: Attendance Accounting (revise);
- the tax refunds of $500 or greater for Cypress-Fairbanks ISD;
- authorizing the superintendent or designee to negotiate and execute the Interlocal Governmental Agreement between Harris County Municipal Utility District No. 29 and Cypress-Fairbanks ISD for the providing of funds for the installation of playground equipment at Emmott Elementary School; and
- authorizing the superintendent or designee to negotiate and execute a 0.7011-acre tract for a Waterline Easement to West Harris County Regional Water Authority (WHCRWA) located at M. Robinson Elementary School.