April 20, 2021
Cypress Ranch High School senior Jacob Grogan, left, won the 138-pound boys’ regional title to advance to the state tournament. Grogan was among 22 CFISD wrestlers to qualifier for the UIL Class 6A Wrestling State Tournament, scheduled for April 24 at the Berry Center.
April 20, 2021—Twenty-two wrestlers from all 12 CFISD high schools placed in the top three of their respective weight classes at the Region III-6A Wrestling Championships on April 16-17 at the Merrell Center in Katy to qualify for the UIL Class 6A Wrestling State Tournament, scheduled for April 24 at the Berry Center.
In the boys’ tournament, Cypress Ranch High School had the highest team finish, placing third overall with 105.5 total points behind Katy and Katy Seven Lakes. Langham Creek High School finished 10th with 60 points, edging out Cy-Fair High School (56), which placed 11th. Bridgeland (50.5) and Cypress Lakes (50.5) high schools tied for 12th overall, while Cypress Park High School (47) finished 15th.
CFISD had four boys’ regional champions:
· Cypress Falls senior Ruben Calderon won the 132-pound title, defeating Katy High School’s Luke Holland, 8-4;
· Cypress Ranch senior Jacob Grogan won the 138-pound title, defeating Katy Tompkins’ Cole Minnick, 3-2;
· Cypress Woods senior Marvin Brewster won the 170-pound title, pinning League City Clear Falls’ Shota Brown in 2:56; and
· Cypress Ranch sophomore Benjamin Vogt won the 195-pound title, defeating Katy Seven Lakes’ Joe Racicot, 10-5.
Cypress Woods High School senior Marvin Brewster, top, won the 170-pound boys’ regional title to advance to the state tournament.
In the girls’ tournament, four CFISD schools finished in the 10 and seven total placed among the top 14. They were led by Langham Creek (70 points) and Cypress Park (66), which placed fourth and fifth, respectively, behind Katy Tompkins, Katy Seven Lakes and Katy. Cy-Fair (51) finished ninth, while Cypress Ranch (50) placed tied for 10th overall. Cypress Springs (48), Cypress Ridge (46) and Bridgeland (43), placed 12th, 13th and 14th.
CFISD had five girls’ regional champions:
· Cy-Fair junior Katelyn Paniagua-Aguirre won the 102-pound title, defeating Cypress Springs junior Melissa Cifuentes, 5-3;
· Cypress Ranch junior Jayden Bazemore won the 128-pound title, defeating League City Clear Falls’ Mikayla Wallace, 8-1;
· Langham Creek senior Diriann Porras won the 138-pound title, defeating Katy’s Graycen Hall, 2-0;
· Langham Creek senior Temitayo Sanusi won the 148-pound title, defeating Cypress Ridge senior Kailee McCarty, 10-5; and
· Cypress Ridge senior Melanie Oyervides won the 215-pound title, defeating Bridgeland senior Callie Youngblood, 3-2.
Cy-Fair High School junior Katelyn Paniagua-Aguirre, left, won the 102-pound title girls’ regional title. She defeated Cypress Springs junior Melissa Cifuentes, right, in the championship match, and both qualified for the state tournament.
The fourth-place wrestler in each weight class will advance to state as an alternate. The following 22 wrestlers and nine alternates placed in the top four in the region:
· Ruben Calderon, Cypress Falls, 132 pounds;
· Jacob Grogan, Cypress Ranch, 138 pounds;
· Marvin Brewster, Cypress Woods, 170 pounds; and
· Benjamin Vogt, Cypress Ranch, 195 pounds.
· Xavior Harrell, Cypress Ranch, 120 pounds;
· Marcus Allen, Langham Creek, 160 pounds; and
· Jarra Anderson, Cypress Park, 285 pounds.
· Mikell Goodwin, Cypress Lakes, 132 pounds;
· Alec Robeson-Moreira, Cypress Ranch, 145 pounds;
· Ethan Anderson, Cy-Fair, 220 pounds; and
· Robert Herrada, Jersey Village, 285 pounds.
Fourth Place (alternates)
· Oliver Scoble, Cypress Ranch, 106 pounds;
· Caden Lopez, Langham Creek, 126 pounds;
· Nathaniel Leader, Cypress Creek, 152 pounds;
· Avante Williams, Cypress Park, 170 pounds;
· Ryan Watkins, Langham Creek, 182 pounds; and
· Jeremiah Howard, Cypress Creek, 220 pounds.
Cypress Park High School senior Fahydat Bello, top, was among 22 wrestlers representing all 12 CFISD high schools to qualify for the UIL Class 6A Wrestling State Tournament, scheduled for April 24 at the Berry Center.
· Katelyn Paniagua-Aguirre, Cy-Fair, 102 pounds;
· Jayden Bazemore, Cypress Ranch, 128 pounds;
· Diriann Porras, Langham Creek, 138 pounds;
· Temitayo Sanusi, Langham Creek, 148 pounds; and
· Melanie Oyervides, Cypress Ridge, 215 pounds.
· Melissa Cifuentes, Cypress Springs, 102 pounds;
· Annika Gotlieb, Langham Creek, 119 pounds;
· Kailee McCarty, Cypress Ridge, 148 pounds; and
· Callie Youngblood, Bridgeland, 215 pounds.
· Fahydat Bello, Cypress Park, 165 pounds; and
· Emma Thomas, Cypress Creek, 185 pounds.
Fourth Place (alternates)
· Alejandra Mezano-Garza, Cypress Ranch, 102 pounds;
· Marisa Salazar, Jersey Village, 148 pounds; and
· Angela Villegas, Cypress Park, 185 pounds.