April 21, 2021
Bridgeland High School junior Divya Tulluri won the girls’ single title at the District 16-6A Tennis Tournament. The Bears claimed three of the five district championships and qualified five entries to the Region II-6A Tennis Tournament, to be held April 26-27 at Waco Regional Tennis & Fitness.
April 21, 2021—The Bridgeland High School boys’ and girls’ tennis teams swept championships, claiming the District 16-6A titles at the district tennis tournament held April 13-14 at Bridgeland, Cypress Park and Cypress Ranch high schools. In District 17-6A, Cy-Fair and Cypress Ridge high schools each had one entry finish second in their respective flights at the district tennis tournament held April 13-14 at Spring Branch ISD’s Memorial High School.
The Bears earned three of the five district titles to lead the way for the championship, which included claiming the top two spots in both singles and doubles on the girls’ side. Junior Divya Tulluri won the singles’ title, while freshman Lindsay Payne placed second. In girls’ doubles, juniors Emma Eads and Alison Chen won the title ahead of juniors Abbey Faggard and Lauren Green. Bridgeland’s third title was in boys’ doubles, with juniors Ethan Payne and Aditya Makthala claiming the championship.
In all, the Bears advanced half of the possible 10 entries from the district meet.
Cypress Falls High School senior Oleg Radchenko won the title in boys’ singles, while the Cypress Ranch High School duo of senior Grant Curington and junior Sophia Ritter won the title in mixed doubles.
Cypress Ranch High School senior Keegan Smith and fellow senior Vinayak Belavadi placed second in boys’ doubles to qualify for the Region II-6A Tennis Tournament.
The following CFISD athletes placed among the top four in their respective flights in the District 16-6A Tournament:
1. Divya Tulluri, Bridgeland;
2. Lindsay Payne, Bridgeland;
3. Lauren Wheeler, Cypress Woods; and
4. Maytal Isophe, Cypress Falls.
1. Emma Eads and Alison Chen, Bridgeland;
2. Abbey Faggard and Lauren Green, Bridgeland;
3. Ayah Abdulrahman and Nadja Achong, Cypress Falls; and
4. Arpen Grewal and Bani Sandhu, Cypress Ranch.
Bridgeland High School junior Lauren Green teamed with fellow junior Abbey Faggard to place second in girls’ doubles at the District 16-6A Tennis Tournament and qualify for the Region II-6A Tournament.
1. Oleg Radchenko, Cypress Falls;
2. Brandon Luong, Cypress Woods;
3. Colby Satterfield, Langham Creek; and
4. Preston Kimberling, Cypress Ranch.
1. Ethan Payne and Aditya Makthala, Bridgeland;
2. Keegan Smith and Vinayak Belavadi, Cypress Ranch;
3. John Nguyen and Alex Samman, Cypress Lakes; and
4. Harvey Houltby and Grant Bohlman, Langham Creek.
1. Grant Curington and Sophia Ritter, Cypress Ranch;
2. Elena Nguyen and Marius Nguyen, Cypress Woods;
3. David Garcia and Darcy Thompson, Cypress Ranch; and
4. Aahan Shah and Caroline Cordes, Cypress Woods.
Cypress Woods High School sophomore Marius Nguyen teamed with senior Elena Nguyen to place second in mixed doubles at the District 16-6A Tennis Tournament and qualify for the Region II-6A Tournament.
In 17-6A, CFISD schools finished with two top-two finishers.
Cy-Fair High School junior Avery Frierson placed second in girls’ singles, while Cypress Ridge High School sophomore Evan Nguyen finished second in boys’ singles.
Cy-Fair High School junior Avery Frierson placed second in girls’ singles at the District 17-6A Tennis Tournament and qualified for the Region III-6A Tournament, to be held April 27-28 at Deer Park High School South Campus.
The following CFISD athletes placed among the top four in their respective flights in the District 17-6A Tournament:
2. Avery Frierson, Cy-Fair.
2. Evan Nguyen, Cypress Ridge.
3. John Zurbriggen and Connor Pena, Jersey Village.
4. Bailey Smith and Pawan Thota, Cy-Fair.
Cypress Ridge High School sophomore Evan Nguyen finished second in boys’ singles at the District 17-6A Tennis Tournament.
The top two places in each event qualified for regional competition, with the third- and fourth-place finishers qualifying as regional alternates.
District 16-6A entries advanced to the Region II-6A Tennis Tournament, to be held April 26-27 at Waco Regional Tennis & Fitness (900 W. Lake Shore Dr.) in Waco. District 17-6A entries advanced to the Region III-6A Tennis Tournament, to be held April 27-28 at Deer Park High School South Campus (710 San Augustine Ave.).