Eighteen district wrestlers earn medals at CFISD Invitational
Langham Creek High School’s Annika Gotlieb, top, faces Rockwall High School’s Elizabeth Duvall in the 128-pound championship match at the 19th annual CFISD Invitational on Jan. 8 at the Berry Center. Gotlieb won the match to place first in the weight class and also picked up her 100th career victory over the weekend.
Jan. 11, 2022—Eighteen CFISD wrestlers won medals, including two who claimed individual championships, in their respective weight classes at the 19th annual CFISD Invitational, held Jan. 7-8 at the Berry Center.
The Cypress Ranch High School girls’ team finished as the district’s highest-placing representative. The Mustangs placed third, giving them four top-four finishes in the last five invitationals. They scored 149 points to finish behind champion Prosper (157 points) and runner-up Southlake Carroll (153).
Other CFISD girls’ teams to place among the top 25 teams were Cypress Springs (20th, 72 points), Cypress Ridge (23rd, 63) and Cypress Creek (25th, 58)
In the boys’ tournament, Cypress Ranch had the highest finish among CFISD teams, placing 11th with 133 points. The Mustangs have four consecutive top-15 finishes, which includes placing ninth in 2018 and 2019. Allen won the team title with 317.5 points, finishing ahead of runner-up The Woodlands College Park (176.5).
Cypress Ranch High School’s Xavior Harrell, left, won the 120-pound championship match at the 19th annual CFISD Invitational on Jan. 8 at the Berry Center. Harrell was among two CFISD individual champions.
CFISD wrestlers earned two individual championships.
Langham Creek’s Annika Gotlieb won the 128-pound division. During the invitational, she also achieved her 100th career victory.
“This feels great. It’s like I’m on top of the world right now,” Gotlieb said. “This gives us the competition we need.”
On the boy’s side, Cypress Ranch’s Xavior Harrell won the 120-pound division after finishing third in 113-pound division during the 2020 invitational.
The David Pruitt Most Outstanding Female Wrestler was Prosper High School’s Taylor Martinez, who won the 138-pound weight class. The David Pruitt Most Outstanding Male Wrestler was Killeen Ellison High School’s Eamonn Jimenez, who won the 113-pound weight class.
Cypress Creek High School’s Emma Thomas, right, faces Annmarie Janssen of Katy Seven Lakes High School in the 185-pound championship match at the 19th annual CFISD Invitational on Jan. 8 at the Berry Center. Thomas finished second in the weight class.
The Most Outstanding Wrestler award is named in honor of former Langham Creek High School wrestling Coach David Pruitt, who passed away in January 2013 after a bout with cancer.
CFISD’s top-8 medalists in each weight class were:
Boys 106 pounds
- Kevin McAleavey, Cypress Creek – seventh place.
Boys 113 pounds
- Oliver Scoble, Cypress Ranch – eighth place.
Boys 120 pounds
- Xavior Harrell, Cypress Ranch – first place.
Boys 138 pounds
- Kohen Coffman, Cypress Ranch – sixth place.
Boys 145 pounds
- Trent Evans, Cypress Lakes – seventh place.
Boys 160 pounds
- Marcus Allen, Langham Creek – fifth place.
Boys 195 pounds
- Ben Vogt, Cypress Ranch – fifth place.
Girls 95 pounds
- Hailey Bello, Langham Creek – third place; and
- Ankita Singh, Cypress Ranch – fourth place.
Girls 102 pounds
- Melissa Cifuentes, Cypress Springs – fifth place.
Girls 110 pounds
- Scarlet Sanchez, Cypress Ridge – eighth place.
Girls 119 pounds
- Mariana Bozo, Cypress Ranch – seventh place.
Girls 128 pounds
- Annika Gotlieb, Langham Creek – first place.
Girls 138 pounds
- Abigail Sebesta, Langham Creek – third place; and
- Sara Garza, Cypress Ranch – sixth place.
Girls 148 pounds
- Anna Vogt, Cypress Ranch – fourth place.
Girls 185 pounds
- Emma Thomas, Cypress Creek – second place; and
- Ashley Brewster, Cypress Woods – eighth place.
Cypress Springs High School’s Christian Magana, in red, faces Keller Central High School’s Kody Tanimoto in a 113-pound match at the 19th annual CFISD Invitational on Jan. 7 at the Berry Center.