Happy Holiday Season!
Posted by Dr. Mark Henry on 12/15/2022 12:00:00 PM
Dear CFISD Community,
As we reach the end of the fall semester, we can look back on some terrific accomplishments as a school district. Among the accolades:
- we were the largest district in Texas to achieve an “A” rating in the state accountability system;
- our schools earned $34,500 in school supplies through Kroger’s “Backpack Boosters” program;
- 25 CFISD seniors were confirmed as National Merit semifinalists;
- CFISD College Night returned in person, welcoming nearly 3,400 guests;
- our Board of Trustees passed a budget with another staff raise and stipend, and adopted the lowest tax rate in 33 years;
- we were one of 59 districts in the state to earn a TAEA District of Distinction designation;
- three of our high school marching bands—Bridgeland, Cy-Fair and Cypress Woods—completed the season at the UIL State Marching Contest; and
- 11 more of our campuses established Adopt-a-School partnership with local businesses or faith-based organizations.
I can’t wait to see what other accomplishments await us in the spring of 2023, a year that will signify new beginnings in CFISD.
We move into a new administration building in January, and later in the spring we will open the Visual and Performing Arts Center on the same property near Cy-Fair High School. This facility will not only be an impressive venue for our fine arts and visual arts students to showcase their work, but it will be an attractive location for outside talent to host performances. It is evident why CFISD has been named a “Best Community for Music Education” by NAMM for five straight years. Thank you for your support of the arts in CFISD!
The holiday season always causes me to be thankful and look for ways to help others who may be less fortunate. We don’t have to look further than our own amazing students for great examples of generosity. Student-athletes throughout the district have been collecting toys for children in Harris County Child Protective Services care through the CFISD Athletics Leadership Initiative (CALI) Be A Resource (BEAR) toy drive over the last few weeks.
Thousands of items have already been donated, and I thank our students for continually setting the standard of how to treat one another. You are making a big impact.
One blessing I continue to be thankful for is this CFISD community. My wife, Cindy, and I have decided to make this our forever home. Our three children and seven grandchildren all live in the area and are proud to call Cypress “home.”
Thank you for being a key part of our story. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
Mark Henry, Ed.D.
Superintendent of schools