- Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District
District Notice re: e-Cigarettes (vapes)
Posted by CFISD Communication on 8/25/2023
This summer the 88th Texas Legislature passed House Bill 114 (HB 114) in response to the growing concerns surrounding e-cigarettes and vaping among young people. This law mandates that any student found in possession of, using, selling, giving, or delivering an e-cigarette (a vape device) on school premises or at any school-affiliated event must receive a discipline consequence at the District’s Alternative Learning Center (ALC). Cypress-Fairbanks ISD will make necessary adjustments to the Student Code of Conduct in order to comply with this new law.
How this might impact your student:
- If your student possesses an e-cigarette (even if it contains nothing) or any component, part or accessory for any vaping device while on school grounds or at a school-related event, they will be recommended for a mandatory placement at the ALC for at least 10 days for first-time e-cigarette offenses.
- It is important to note your student assumes responsibility for any item knowingly within their possession, even if it is not their own.
- When at the ALC, your student is not able to participate in any school activities. Furthermore, they may face removal from specific student clubs or organizations as stipulated by each organization's rules and regulations.
- Students with ALC placements do not qualify for final exam exemptions for that school year.
- Modified bus transportation is provided to the Alternative Learning Centers but is not provided to the elementary Special Opportunity School.
Parent/Guardian's next steps::
- Please talk with your student to ensure they are informed about the new law.
- Prompt your student to be aware of the contents of their backpack, vehicle, and personal belongings.
- Remind your student not to allow friends to store prohibited items, such as e-cigarettes, in their backpack or vehicle, and discourage them from holding such items on behalf of others.
- Talk with your student regarding the adverse health effects of vaping. We have shared resources below to help you start the conversation.
We deeply appreciate your cooperation and support in ensuring that Cypress-Fairbanks ISD remains a safe, healthy, and thriving educational environment for all students. If you have any questions please contact your campus administration.