Degrees and Certifications:
Julie Hinaman (Incumbent) will run for Position 2 in the 2023 Cypress Fairbanks ISD Board of Trustees Election and drew the No. 1 ballot position.
Position 2, Ballot Position 1
- Application for Place on Ballot
- Campaign Treasurer Appointment
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices
- Pre-Election Campaign Finance Report (30th day before election)
- Pre-Election Campaign Finance Report (8th day before election)
- Post-Election Campaign Finance Final Report
YEARS IN CFISD: 20
SUBDIVISION: Towne Lake
SPOUSE: Alan Hinaman
CHILDREN: Allie, Cypress Woods HS 2020 graduate; Amy, attended Sampson ES, Spillane MS, Cy Woods HS
Why did you choose to live in CFISD?
When our oldest daughter was a toddler, my husband and I decided we wanted to move to a community with other young families and good public schools. After researching different school districts, it was clear that CFISD was the best school district by far. CFISD continues to maintain its reputation as a school district families seek out for the best education for their children.
Are you currently a CFISD volunteer? If so, what school(s)?
Yes, as a CFISD Global Volunteer, I am approved to volunteer at any campus Currently, I volunteer on a regular basis at Cypress Falls HS and Cypress Park HS. I've been a Mentor through the CFISD Mentor program for 7 years and with the Cy-Hope Ambassadors of Compassion program for 6 years. I have volunteered as a Bus Buddy for 6 years; this year, I was a Bus Buddy for Walker, Hemmenway, M. Robinson, and Sheridan Elementary schools.
Have you been a CFISD volunteer in the past (include years)?
List your participation in CFISD school and/or district parent clubs, business partnerships and/or committees.
* CFISD Community Leadership Committee, 2014-present
* CFISD Long Range Planning Committee, Co-Chair, 2019
* Cypress Woods HS band booster club, 2018-2021
* Cypress Woods HS drill team booster club, 2017 -2020
* Spillane MS Campus Performance Objectives Council (CPOC)
* Sampson Elementary PTO Board, Committee Chair, Library volunteer
Include any other areas in which you have supported CFISD not included in previous question.
* Elected to CFISD Board of Trustees, 2019-current
* Serve as CFISD Board Vice-President, 2021-current
* Appointed to CFISD Board of Trustees to fill vacancy, June 2019
* Named CFISD Friend of Education - 2018 CFISD Wall of Fame Ceremony
* Received the 2019 State Board of Education Heroes for Children Award
* Honored by the North Harris County AAUW as Outstanding Woman in Education 2023
* Actively support CFISD students by attending academic, athletic, fine arts, CTE events
List local organizations in which you currently participate, including offices held.
* Cy-Hope, Director
* Cy-Fair Houston Chamber of Commerce
* Cy-Fair League of Women Voters
* Cy-FARE, Associate Member
* Cy-Fair 100 Women Who Care
* St. Aidan's Episcopal Church
Considering your skills and talents, what positive contribution would you make as a member of the Board of Trustees?
When I am re-elected, I will be the most senior member of the Board. I intend to use my board experience, personal skills, and positive relationships to bring stability and focus to the board so we can work better together, govern more effectively, and represent our entire district. I will continue to serve with intelligence, integrity, energy and compassion. I am focused on ensuring that the district fulfills our mission of educating ALL students.
What are the responsibilities of the Board of Trustees?
The Board's responsibilities are to set a vision for the district, establish goals to achieve that vision, adopt a fiscally-responsible budget to provide resources, monitor progress towards the goals, and hire and evaluate the Superintendent. As a current Trustee, I have an in-depth understanding and respect for the role and for the difference between strategic governance and day-to-day management. Trustees should represent the district with professionalism and integrity, serve all stakeholders, and build collaborative relationships through community engagement.
What role do positive trustee relations on the Board play in affecting student success?
Research shows that a local school board that works well together and with the Superintendent has a significant impact on student success. While individual members may bring different perspectives, it's important to work collectively to focus on student achievement and to maintain high expectations for all students. Trustees should develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with parents, teachers, employees, administrators, business partners, faith organizations, and elected officials - we are all partners in providing the education our students need and deserve to be ready for their futures.
What critical challenges face the district, and what are possible solutions to address those issues?
Funding for public schools: CFISD is in the bottom 10 (of 1,025 Texas ISDs ) in per-student funding. The district's M&O revenues are primarily controlled by the state legislature. Legislative action is needed to increase funding in order to address increased costs due to inflation, unfunded mandates, and teacher shortages.
Recruitment and retention of teachers: Increasing the teacher pipeline through "grow our own" programs, paraprofessional-to-teacher certification support, increasing teacher pay, teacher time studies to reduce workload, and promote respect for teachers.
School Safety/Mental Health: While CFISD has been a leader in facility safety enhancements, additional resources for students, parents, and staff for mental health needs, substance use, and student behavior are necessary.
All 3 of these priorities have a direct impact on student achievement.